Oklahoma City, OK Chapter
Welcome to the Oklahoma City Chapter!
Our Mission Statement: We serve to empower widows to “lean into life”, build resilience and release their potential to make a positive difference in the world. “Rising Up, through Grace and Boldly Embracing New Beginnings”. We strive to assist widows with community efforts to Live Strong.
Our Philosophy: Everyone may not be aware of the secondary losses of a widow beyond the grief recovery process. The emotional challenges widows face are unique, long-term and best addressed by connecting with and mentoring others. We are a friendly group of women who engage in fascinating, thought-provoking conversation that can only be experienced by showing up! “Modern,” for us, means, “Living for today while honoring yesterday.”
We encourage all the women in the Modern Widows Club to:
- Know that your story matters: Each member’s feelings and unique testimonies are important to share within our community. Every tear you’ve cried, every void and ache you have felt or are currently feeling is fully understood here within the sisterhood of the Modern Widows Club.
- Rise: We understand that it seems like life has stopped for you, but with us by your side, we want you to realize that there is life after tragedy. So much life! We are here to lift you up, every step of the way!
- Embrace Change: There is one thing in this life that is certain to happen for everyone….that’s change! Find comfort in knowing that although change can hurt; it can also push you into the best version of your true self.
- Turn the Page: There is life after loss, and plenty of it! We want to help you find it. Our sisterhood will help you find or develop your life light and vibrancy for living once again!
- Live Strong, Boldly: We lose, we heal, we live! But, not only do we want to move forward and live, we want to live BOLDLY. Live with such a passion for life itself that it is contagious and healing to many other hurting hearts.
We are a friendly group of women who engage in fascinating, thought-provoking conversation that can only be experienced by showing up! “Modern,” for us, means, “Living for today while honoring yesterday.”
Together We Can Successfully Redefine Ourselves and Our Lives.
UPCOMING CHAPTER KICK-OFF EVENTS:
Oklahoma City Chapter meets every 2nd Tuesday at 6:30 pm CST. This meeting will be a monthly gathering of The Modern Widows Club, and a place to connect and share your story with other beautiful women.
- Where: People’s Church, 800 E Britton Rd, Oklahoma City, OK 73114 in the First Steps room. (East side entrance)
- Time: 6:30-8:30 PM CST
- RSVP to email@example.com.
MEET THE LEADERS:
Even though Carlisa had enormous support from her family and friends, for which she is so grateful and blessed, not having widow experience themselves left them unprepared as to how to help and left her not knowing how to ask for help.
It was within a few weeks of her husband’s sudden passing of a fatal heart attack on September 5, 2012, they were married 21 years, the seeds were planted as she watched the need for a widow specific support group grow as friends and family members lost their spouses leaving them with no clear path to understanding on how to manage their loss.
Betty Tubbs lost her husband, soulmate, prayer partner after a struggle with cancer in November 19, 2015. They were married for 27 years. The most recent seed was planted on January 12, 2016 when she called to share with Carlisa that her husband had died. It was during this conversation that Betty shared with her a Facebook post from MWC called “A Widow’s Cry” sent to her from a dear friend, Karen Probst a widow also.
After struggling with God’s push to reach out to other widows, Carlisa had the confirmation that she was destined to help other widows in the Oklahoma City area that struggle with their loss. There was no perfect match to co-lead with Carlisa, than Betty herself.
We feel MWC is the perfect platform of empowerment for women seeking healing in the core of their spirit, seeking a new normal life balance and seeking someone who can truly relate and understand the struggles of a surviving widow. What she thought was years of being lost in the wilderness, she now realizes that God was preparing her for a new calling. That is being able to mentor other widows on a journey that will define a new chapter in their lives.
Reach your Oklahoma City Chapter at firstname.lastname@example.org today.